Lyrics, poems, prose,
Sometimes, Heaven knows.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Home Schooled by Mother

When I was a child, I rested my chin on a smooth flat stone, warmed by the sun, and I became part of the tall grass zoo.

I was held in the strong arms of the maple trees and the leaves taught me how to turn my face to the sun.

I ate cherries, apples, pears, rhubarb, plums, grapes washed only by the rain
and the fruit and the rain and I were the same.

I lay flat on my back in the grass and watched the stars and the fireflies and I began to glow and twinkle.

Eagles taught me to soar over the river by becoming unseen therms.

Beneath skirt of the tall spruce tree I sat on a carpet of flat brown needles during a gentle rain and I became the smell of pine.

I buried my face in lilacs - purple, violet, white - and learned to giggle with their soft power.

I sat hugging my knees in an open field in rain that stung while green and white lightening pulled at my skin and thunder shook my chest.  I knew.

There is no such thing as death. 
Nothing left to fear. 
I won't return to the Earth. 
I'm already here.

7 comments:

  1. That's really sweet and clever. I loved the images throughout, and the last 4 lines work so well as an ending.

    http://jessicasjapes.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/home/

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no such thing as death.
    Nothing left to fear.
    I won't return to the Earth.
    I'm already here...

    This is so fun to read. Cheers.
    A++

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful piece! The ending is such a wonderful surprise, and the images throughout are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful poem; the beauty of awakenings and the realization of infinity.
    Mike
    http://thepoetsquill.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. I miss that line between innocence and experience. This poem really brought me back ... It feels like you wrote this about me. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful.. my potluck's here: http://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/metamorphosis/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is filled with the beautiful Mother Earth's gifts for us to cherish, nurture, enjoy and grow from ... I love what you "painted" and the way the end tied it back to the GIVER. Thank you for sharing. ~becca~

    http://beccagivens.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/no-alarms/

    ReplyDelete